Fun Ways to Help Your Kid Love Primary 1 Maths
Is your child gearing up for the upcoming academic year to set her first step in academics? You might be then in need of a prior guide about making maths fun for your child.
You’re never sure whether your child is going to love maths or stay far away from it. Although, maths is an important part of learning and helps in building a child’s analytical skills from the core. It helps them to develop their knowledge about dates, time, measurements, costs and numbers – calculating the life around them.
This makes the subject confusing and dreadful for a lot of children but the current P1 curriculum has been developed keeping in mind the psychological aspects of a child.
What will Your Child Learn in P1 Maths?
The key mathematics elements that constitute their P1 curriculum are:
- Number Patterns: Helps them to develop their skills in identifying the even and odd numbers, the order of the numbers by filling out blanks that gradually enhances their knowledge towards addition and subtraction.
- Identifying single and double digits: Students would get acquainted with –
- Number Bonds: Children would be taught to create addition bonds such as 1+2=3 or 2+2+2=6 and so on.
- Multiplication and Division Problems: Children would learn the numerical tables and learn how to perform basic multiplication or division problems.
- Identify Basic Shapes: They’d learn about 2-D shapes such as squares, rectangles, triangles, circles and solve worksheets based on these shapes performing additions or subtractions.
- Comparisons between Sizes, Weights and Lengths: P1 Maths also aims to cover measurements which would deal with comparing sizes, weights and lengths or given objects. It helps them to relate these concepts with their surroundings.
How to Make Maths Fun for Your Child at Home
These lessons may seem to be complicated but could be made fun for your child while practicing these at home in the following ways:
- Take Your Kids to Grocery Shopping: Let your child count the number of items that you’re buying and check the price of each item. You can ask them to add the costs on the bill for you or add the similar kinds of items to give you a total of those.
- Read Fun Math Books: Contrary to the beliefs of many, there are actually fun and creative Math Books available at various stores for your child. Some of these even consist of visuals that help you to catch the attention of your child. Read these books to your child so that they feel that you’re with them in their learning process.
- Solve Number Patterns and Puzzles: Go through the internet and copy various maths puzzle and pattern problems. Solve these together with your child while making it look like a game.
- Free Exam Papers: Get access to past year top school exam papers for your child to practise as more practice will make it perfect.
- Comics and Songs are a Fun Way to Learn: There are various nursery songs that play with maths and children comics that are based on maths. These are really very helpful when you’re introducing maths to your child.
- Use Props to teach Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division: Your rooms are surrounded with different kinds of objects. Use these objects as props to help your kid learn about basic mathematical equations in a simple way.
- Weighing Scales as a tool to learn: Use weighing scales that are readily available at home to teach your kid about mass and weight of objects.
- Find a Professional Maths Tutor: Tuition Agency in Singapore provide reliable and quality tutors to your doorsteps to make learning Maths more fun
Learning maths at home can be fun when you’re using these methods to help your child become enthusiastic towards the subject and not shy away from it.